Template

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Family Catechism

I'm looking into my options for doing religion together as a family next year. This is what I've come up with.

Topics to Cover :

Sacraments / Doctrine - Mass unit study - Sunday Preparation looks AWESOME! and it's free!, St. Patrick's Summer by Marigold Hunt, discuss Q in St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism, Catholic Catechism Board Game, Faith Folders for Catholics

Living the Liturgical Year - we've all discussed this at length with my favorite suggestions being at 4Real Learning forums

Scripture - Coloring pages & narrations from Golden Children's Bible, Life of Christ, Bible History from TAN books : Knecht's Bible History (the slim blue volume) for ~K-3, Schuster's Bible History for 3-6, and the Bible History by Johnson, Hannan, and Sr. Dominica for 7-9 (the first two books have the same illustrations). Middle & High school students just read the Bible.

Saints - Vision books are our favorites for upper elem / middle school and Catholic Mosaic suggestions for youngers.

Apologetics - for the older crowd.

1 comment:

  1. Matthew11:51 PM

    I personally prefer the New St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism 2nd Edition. When teaching younger children it is much easier with the Baltimore Catechism. There is no extra fluff. It is straight, easy to understand, teaching in the Catholic faith.

    The Apostolate's Family Cathechism may be nice, but I have found that the material is dry to teach, the books are huge (which is intimidating to even me.) Just the two catechisms alone are almost twice the size of the bible. Not to mention the teachers handbook, Teaching guide, student workbook, By Heart Catechism, etc. They also want you to have the full bible on hand, the catechism of the catholic church and audio CDs and DVDs.

    I am teaching CCD and I find it very difficult to prepare with the Apostolate's Family Catechism.

    For my own children I use the Baltimore Catechism. It is so much easier to teach with. The pictures may seem dated, but my kids really like them. They convey what is being taught in the lesson perfectly. The images in the Apostolate's Family Catechism seem somehow too modern.

    Hopefully that helps a little.

    P.S.
    The Baltimore Catechism is only $4 on Amazon and is a SINGLE book that the teacher and student both use.

    ReplyDelete